If I am Ukrainian and intend to travel to Canada from Mexico, what programs can help me?

In support of people affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the Canadian government has created a program called the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel CUAET. The program aims to help Ukrainian people and their families to go to Canada as quickly as possible and give them the possibility to work and/or study while in Canada.

The CUAET also gives those already in Canada the option to extend their visitor status, work permit, or study permit so that they can continue to live and work or study in Canada temporarily.

The CUAET grants a visitor visa to go to Canada temporarily until it is safe to return to Ukraine.

What benefits does this visitor visa include?

  • It is exempt from fees.
  • It is valid for ten years or until your passport expires
  • Allows you to travel in and out of Canada, as long as your visa is valid
  • Will be processed on a priority basis
  • It gives you the option to apply for a fee-exempt work permit simultaneously.


What status can I get?

You will have the option to receive the status of:

  • Visitor
  • Working person, if you applied for the open work permit
  • Student, if you are under 18 and want to study in Canada


How long can I stay in Canada?

You can stay in Canada for up to 3 years at a time or until your passport expires. When your status in Canada is about to expire, you must apply to extend your stay.

Who can apply?

You can apply if you have:

  • a valid Ukrainian passport or
  • other national identity documents

Can I receive this visitor visa if my passport is not valid or I do not have an identity document?

If you do not have a valid passport or other identity documents, you can apply. However, an officer will need to determine if you meet a temporary residence permit requirements.

Who can apply?

You can apply if:

  • You are from a country that requires a visa.
  • You can prove that you are a member of the family of a Ukrainian citizen or citizen
  • You have a valid passport
  • You have the documents to prove your family relationship.

What documents can you use to prove your family relationship?

  • A marriage certificate or proof of common-law status (documents showing a shared address)
  • A birth certificate
  • Other documents that show an immediate family connection, for example
  • Correspondence from us showing a spousal sponsorship application in progress
  • Documents showing a shared home address

When you travel, take documents that prove your family relationship. Then, when you arrive at the border, you must show these documents to the border services officer.

For more information about the CUAET program, click here.

The CUAET program is not the only line of the response of the Canadian government; there are different migration measures for people affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine. In the following link, you can find the details of various programs offered by the Canadian government in support of people affected by war:


For more information about the application to work in Canada, click here.

For more information about the application to study in Canada, click here.